No single software company makes every application that large fleet companies require. With an estimated 300 different cloud-based fleet-relevant applications available, most businesses utilize anywhere from five to 10 applications, purchased from varying vendors.
If it’s your job to purchase new software for your business, then getting familiar with the integration options offered with your fleet software before you buy couldn’t be more vital.
Without API functionality, and the ability to smoothly coordinate programs and tasks, your entire business won’t function properly.
The fleet API from Telogis is extremely flexible, uses modern web standards* and can be applied to a huge range of different industries and business scenarios.
*Supported standards currently include REST, FTP, HTTPS, XML, CSV and JSON
Example of API applications include:
- Minimized timesheet data entry: connects driving hours recorded by Telogis’ fleet management software with your payroll software
- Eliminated importing and exporting of data: automatically transfers data between programs, saving time while allowing for nearly real-time updates
- Automated stock ordering as parts are used: coordinates service records from fleet maintenance software with your reorder system’s parts inventory management
- Creates invoices using job completion notifications: work order forms completed by mobile workers is automatically shared with your billing software
There are probably hundreds of potential uses for API connections across your business. The key is to start the conversation to explore the specific opportunities that apply to your needs.
How do I setup an API with fleet software?
Start by making an inventory of the different software solutions (fleet management, payroll, accounting, etc.) across your entire business, and how they could potentially coordinate to improve efficiency. Take an inventory of problems you’d like to solve, along with future opportunities you want to seize.
Focus on a few specific details, including:
- Frequency – How often does data need to be shared? Is virtually real-time sharing necessary, or are longer intervals, like every 24 hours, acceptable?
- Data updates – Does data need to be regularly changed or updated, or will reading the data suffice?
- Business logic – Are there rules around when data would be exchanged? (i.e. “if X happens, then do Y.”
How do I get started?
The Telogis professional services team would be happy to discuss your needs, your goals, costs and timelines, all customized to your individual business.
Should your business utilize only the most popular applications, our pre-built connectors with popular software applications — like Salesforce, SAP, MultiSpeak, PestPac, J. J. Keller and ARI — can help speed up the launch of your API solution, which will help to minimize development costs.
Complete the contact form on our website to start unlocking the potential of data sharing in your business. A sales team member will be in touch promptly.
How have other fleets benefited from using the flexible API connectors we offer? Watch PG&E’s story as they discuss how working with our team improved their business operations, opening up exciting opportunities for data sharing between disparate systems.